About CCFI – The Israel Foundation for Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis are chronic inflammatory conditions of the colon and the small intestine (Inflammatory Bowel Diseases – IBD).
Patients experience various symptoms including severe abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea, fever, bloody stools, significant weight loss and chronic fatigue. Treatment often includes frequent hospitalization, surgeries, medications including biological drugs, and consumption of special liquid foods.
The Israel Foundation for Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis (CCFI) was founded in 1994 by a group of dedicated parents. It is the only organization in Israel that provides continuous support and comprehensive services to IBD patients and their families.
CCFI is an associate member of the EFCCA (European Federation of Crohn’s and Colitis Associations). We share our knowledge and experience internationally to further professionalize our activities.
The foundation invests great efforts in advocating patients’ rights vis-à-vis authorities, public officials, and institutions. Our ultimate goal is to improve the quality of life of everyone in Israel, who is affected by these diseases. We work to provide immediate personal assistance to individual patients and realize goals that advance the common interests of our community.
The foundation is engaged in activities that raise awareness and educate the public about IBD. We believe this awareness can improve the quality of life for people within their communities as well as reduce disease related discrimination.
We consistently reach out to our community, promoting various activities and communicating via the following means:
- Website: Our newly designed website is an essential information source. We continuously improve and expand the content
- Hotline: The foundation’s Hotline service operates through trained volunteers, in Hebrew and English, five evenings a week. This service offers immediate assistance for patients and their families regarding a wide range of individual issues. Furthermore, we recommend strategies in dealing with institutional bodies such as Social Security, the National Health Insurance Services, employers and educational institutions.
- Regular calls to members: We call our members to check on their condition and when appropriate, provide support and assistance. We also take the opportunity to receive feedback on our activities.
- SMS and Emails– Occasionally, we contact our constituency via SMS and emails
- The Magazine – TMICHON – The foundation publishes a magazine which includes useful information related to medical innovations and developments in IBD as well as topics relating to quality of life.
Relevant articles are written by doctors and IBD experts and there is a review of the foundation’s on-going activities. The Magazine is distributed to foundation members and gastroenterology clinics in medical and care centers around Israel.
- Medication Support Fund – The Foundation offers help with funding medications and shakes, in special circumstances, if not subsidized by the insurance. CCFi provides this support to the best of its ability
- The Media – CCFI raises public awareness particularly around International Crohn’s Day on both Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis. Every year the foundation works with the media on delivering important items to the public’s awareness
Educational and Leisure Activities:
- Conferences: The Foundation organizes conferences both independently and in collaboration with medical centers. The conferences aim to enrich existing knowledge, further collaborations and create new ones and generate new discussions
- Web Conferencing and Lectures: CCFI conducts online conferences and lectures regarding medical and wellbeing issues on topics such as: healthy nutrition and preventative methods. The viewers have an opportunity to ask questions and receive an immediate answer
- Support Groups: The Foundation initiates patients’ support meetings in collaboration with various medical centers on topics such as: couples support, parental support and children’s support groups.
- Children and family: We organize special events and leisure activities for children and families. We collaborate with Jordan River Village on children’s Summer Camp, organize jeep trips and excursions, special events and performances
- All board members are volunteers
- Foundation membership fee is optional
For more information please contact:
Dorit Shomron – CCFI Board Member for International Activities: firstname.lastname@example.org